Who We Are
The Irish American Baseball Society is a US-based non-profit organization that celebrates the contributions of Irish Americans to amateur and professional baseball. We also support youth baseball in Ireland and America.
The Irish American Baseball Society is a non-profit subsidiary of the Baseball United Foundation (Federal Tax ID: 20-4623222).
Membership in the Irish American Baseball Society is open to anyone with an interest in baseball and Ireland. Our members are baseball fans, players, coaches, administrators, journalists, broadcasters, and executives from all levels of amateur and professional baseball.
- Steve Garvey: World Series Champion and 1974 NL MVP
- Sean Casey: 3x All-Star and MLB Network Analyst
- Joe McEwing: former Mets and Cardinals fan favorite and bench coach for the Chicago White Sox
- PJ Conlon: Irish-born MLB Pitcher
- Dave O’Brien: Red Sox play-by-play announcer
- Jack Curry: YES Network Yankees analyst
- Brian McTaggart: Astros reporter for MLB
- Peter Abraham: Red Sox reporter for the Boston Globe
Our work includes support and research for a broad range of programs and projects related to the intersection of the Irish American experience and baseball.
Supporting the Game of Baseball in Ireland
Our parent organization, the Baseball United Foundation, has been working to support the growth and development of baseball in Ireland since 2006. Baseball United’s work includes organizing youth baseball programs, training coaches, and providing equipment and financial support for field development, uniforms, and other related expenses. We support Baseball United’s programs by strengthening the connection between Irish American baseball fans and baseball programs in Ireland. Our goals include:
- Irish-born and raised players in college and pro baseball
- Ireland in the Olympics (Baseball & Softball)
- Ireland in the World Baseball Classic
- An MLB Game in Ireland
- A Professional Irish Baseball Team
Researching the History of Irish Baseball… In Ireland and America!
We study the Irish impact on baseball history and the Irish American influence on today’s game. We also study the history of baseball in Ireland, from the first known Irish baseball game in 1874 to the present day.
The Clive Butterworth Award recognizes outstanding volunteer service in the development of youth baseball in Ireland. The award honors early Irish baseball pioneer Clive Butterworth, the organizer and coach of the first known baseball teams in Ireland. The award was established in 2019 by the Irish American Baseball Society, in partnership with the Irish American Baseball Hall of Fame and the Baseball United Foundation.