Meet Connie Mack – an Irish Baseball Legend!
– Connie Mack was born Cornelius McGillicuddy on December 22, 1862 to Irish immigrant parents Michael and Mary McGillicuddy.
– Was considered one of the top defensive catchers of his day.
– Popularized blocking home plate.
– Won nine American League pennants and five World Series titles as manager of the Philadelphia Athletics.
– Was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1937 while he was still managing.
– Retired in 1950 at the age of 87.
– All-time leader with 3,731 wins.